Working at VMware provides many fantastic possibilities. One of it is a possibility to use vCloud Director based environment where you can spin up any lab you want (of course with per-user limits 😉 ). This environment has some limits and I decided to purchase new Home Lab.
After long considerations, I decided to buy well known in VMware community Supermicro E300-8D. It has amazing hardware combined with very small chassis.
|CPU||Intel Xeon D-1518 2,2Ghz|
|Cores/Threads||4 Cores / 8 Threads|
|Memory||128 GB (4x 32GB) 2133Mhz DDR4 ECC RDIMM|
|Network||6x 1Gbe (RJ45) + 2x 10Gb (SFP+)|
1x M.2 – M key 2242/2280/22110 – PCI-E 3.0 x4
1x mSATA (Mini PCI-E) – PCI-E 2.0 x1
|Peripheral||2x USB 3.0|
|Expansion||2x PCI-E 3.0 x8|
I’ve decided that for maximum performance I will use all-flash vSAN. Below you will find the list of components I used in my setup:
- RAM – 4 x 32GB Samsung DDR4-2133 regECC DIMM CL15
- ESXi local storage – 32GB Delock SATADOM Module SATA 6Gb/ MLC
- Flash Tier – WD Black 256GB SSD M.2 PCI-Express
- Capacity Tier – Crucial MX300 2TB SATA
At the moment I am not using any managed switches (I plan to do so in the nearest future) and my lab will be entirely nested. I am in a process of building the environment and after some time I will share my thoughts how this server suits for the home lab.
I certainly recommend to read more about the Supermicro server:
- https://michaelryom.dk/nuc-killer-supermicro-superserver-e300-8d/ – this is fantastic article comparing Supermicro Server and Intel NUCs
- https://michaelryom.dk/part-2-supermicro-superserver-e300-8d-deep-dive/ – detailed overview of the Supermicro Server
- https://tinkertry.com/compare – I think most comprehensive source of knowledge about Supermicro Servers
My experience and skills have been proven by leading vendor certifications like VMware Certified Implementation Expert 6 – Data Center Virtualization, VMware Certified Advanced Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Design, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Network Virtualization, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate, ITIL V3, VMware vExpert 2014 - 2017 and VMware vExpert NSX 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #43 in Top vBlog 2017 contest!
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- VMware Horizon 7 – fix Desktop Pool stuck in delete state - 9 February, 2018
- Vembu BDR Suite v3.9.0 Release with new features - 28 January, 2018
- NSX 6.4.0 released with cool new features - 18 January, 2018