It has been a while since I was dealing with vCenter on SQL Server simply because I used vCenter Server appliance. In series of post I would like to guide you through installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2014, vCenter database creation and preparation and vCenter 5.5 Update 2 installation.
In my guide I will use following software:
- Operating System – Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Edition
- Database – Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition
- VMware – VMware vSphere 5.5 Update 2b
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 preparation
Following Microsoft SQL Server best practices I will install SQL Server 2014 with following disk layout:
- Disk 1: OS/SQL Binaries
- Disk 2: System databases (aside from tempdb)
- Disk 3: tempdb
- Disk 4: User databases
- Disk 5: User DB transaction logs
- DIsk 6: VMware vCenter Server binaries
- Before installation I recommend to run System Configuration Checker. It is tool which checks if all necessary components required by SQL Server 2014 are installed.
- Another thing that we have to do before installation is enabling of .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. We can do it simply fromPowerShell by executing following command.Shell1Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs
- We will create application users: ap-mssql and ap-vcenter and we will use it to run SQL Server services and vCenter services. I described how to do it in this post: http://wojcieh.net/how-to-create-application-user-in-active-directory/
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 installation
- We switch to Installation section and select New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to existing installation.
- Provide SQL Server 2014 product key or select evaluation.
- Accept the license terms and if you want you can join Customer Experience Improvement Program also called CEIP.
- Choose if you want to receive Microsoft Updates to patch SQL Server 2014.
- Click next and Setup will initiate another check to make sure that there will be no problems.
- Click next and select SQL Server Feature Installation
- Choose following features:
- Database Engine Services
- Client Tools Connectivity
- Integration Services
- Management Tools – Basic
- Management Tools – Complete
- And select following directories:
- In Instance Configuration I selected Default instance and I clicked Next.
- To run all SQL services we will use user called ap-mssql.
- I added my user as SQL Server administrator. I selected Windows authentication mode.
- As I wrote at the beginning I will distribute directories across different disks.
- Select Install and watch progress.
This concludes installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2. In the next post I will proceed with SQL Server configuration.
My experience and skills has been proven by leading vendor certifications like VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration, VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Network Virtualization, Microsoft MCITP Server Administrator, ITIL V3, VMware vExpert 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #50 in TopvBlog 2016 contest!
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Migration of Windows vCenter Server 6.x to vCenter Server 6.5 Appliance - 10 March, 2017
- Altaro VM Backup 7.0 released with new great features - 7 March, 2017
- VMware vExpert 2017 Announcement - 12 February, 2017