If you ever had to create Microsoft license report you know how hard and time consuming task this can be. What if I will tell you that this task can be done in several minutes and can be even fun?
First of all I have to admit that there is software which can do it on the market, but you have to know that it is not free. Software I used is totally free and it really works. It is called Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit and it is designed to help you with quicker desktop and server migration from one version to another.
Wait what? Upgrade?
Yes its primary focus is on upgrade, but we are smart and we know that before you do any upgrade you know you must have overview of your whole infrastructure. Let me show how to quickly make license report of your whole environment.
- First of all you need to prepare one workstation or server.
- Then please read minimum requirements for running MAP and you might want to read MAP FAQ.
- Later on download software from this site.
- Install it on workstation / server
MAP installation is pretty much straight forward like most of software which runs on Windows and I will not cover it here.
Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit usage
- After MAP is installed we shall start it simply by clicking icon in start menu.
- Wait for program to start.
- At the beginning we need to create database to store data.
- After database creation we see overview of possible scenarios: Windows Azure VM Readiness, Microsoft Private Cloud Fast Track and many others.
- If you want to create inventory of your environment click Server and Click Collect inventory data.
- In Inventory Scenarios select Windows Computers. If you want, you can select as well Linux/UNIX computers and many others scenarios.
- You have possibility to provide several methods to use to discover computers.
- Use Active Directory
- Domain Services
- Use Windows networking protocols
- Use System Center Configuration Manager
- Scan an IP address range
- Manually enter computer names and credentials
- Import computer names from a file
- Provide credentials to connect to Active Directory forest and discover computer joined to domain.
- Select domains where you want to do discovery.
- Provide credentials that will be used to connect to machines queried from Active Directory.
- You can specify credentials order for each selected collector technology.
- Here you see Summary of all settings.
- After a while you will find how many computers are inventoried.
- If you will go through each of tabs you will find various Scenarios. For example – Cloud scenario.
- Desktop scenario.
- Server scenario.
- Desktop virtualization.
- Database report.
- Server Virtualization report.
- Usage tracking.
Other than that you can generate Excel reports for further analysis. I hope you will find this tool useful as I did.
My experience and skills has been proven by leading vendor certifications like VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration, VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization, VMware Certified Professional 6 - Network Virtualization, Microsoft MCITP Server Administrator, ITIL V3, VMware vExpert 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Award.
My blog wojcieh.net - was voted #50 in TopvBlog 2016 contest!
Latest posts by Wojciech Marusiak (see all)
- Migration of Windows vCenter Server 6.x to vCenter Server 6.5 Appliance - 10 March, 2017
- Altaro VM Backup 7.0 released with new great features - 7 March, 2017
- VMware vExpert 2017 Announcement - 12 February, 2017